Dentures remain a popular way to restore missing teeth as they are quick and affordable and can replace multiple missing teeth or even a complete arch. Despite this, they are not a perfect solution and will not be right for everyone. Some people find that after they have worn dentures for a few years, they are interested in learning more about alternative options, especially if their current dentures are becoming worn and need relining or remaking entirely. If you wear dentures and are considering implants in Ajax, you can almost certainly make the switch.
Why Switch from Dentures to Implants?
There are several reasons for switching from dentures to dental implants, including the following:
- Dental implants act like artificial tooth roots using small titanium or zirconia screws or posts inserted surgically into the jawbone and which hold replacement teeth securely. In comparison, dentures sit on top of the gums, relying solely on the gum and the bone underneath for support and retention. As a result, they can often move around and rub uncomfortably.
- Dental implant teeth in Pickering provide a far greater biting strength similar to natural teeth, greatly enhancing the range of foods you can eat comfortably. With dentures, you frequently need to avoid foods that are harder to chew or tough, substantially reducing your choice of foods.
- Dental implants in Oshawa are the only solution that helps preserve your jawbone. When you lose natural teeth, the jawbone quickly begins to resorb and change shape without the stimulation provided by tooth roots. Because dental implants replicate tooth roots, they help provide the stimulation needed to maintain a strong, healthy jaw. Dentures cannot provide this important function.
- Dental implant treatment in Newcastle is a long-term solution for tooth loss, as with the right care, implants can remain strong and healthy for many years or for life.
- Implant treatment in Clarington has a high success rate, typically 95% or better. Our dental implant dentists have decades of experience between them and the skill and knowledge to treat even the most complex cases.
Making the Switch from Dentures to Implants
Dental implants are usually suitable for most people, but we screen each patient carefully when you visit Durham Dental Solutions for an initial consultation. If you have good dental and general health, you will usually be suitable for dental implants in Whitby.
If you lost teeth some time ago, your jawbone may have resorbed, and there might not be enough bone to support dental implants successfully. In this case, you can almost certainly still have treatment, but you may need a bone graft in Courtice. Our dentists graft additional bone onto your jawbone during this straightforward procedure, ensuring plenty of strong and healthy bone is available to support successful implant placement.
What to Expect When You Transition from Dentures to Implants?
The transition process should be smooth and uneventful as we plan and place all implants using computer-guided surgery. Before we begin, we take a cone beam CT scan that allows us to assess the quality and quantity of bone available and to plan exactly where to place each dental implant. Once the plan is complete, a computer-generated template or surgical stent is fabricated for use during the surgery. While you will need a short surgical procedure to insert the dental implants, this should be relatively comfortable. We know some people find the thought of oral surgery a little daunting, and if this is the case, please talk to us about dental sedation in Bowmanville. This treatment ensures you relax comfortably while your implants are expertly placed.